Sunday, March 25, 2012

5 Of My Favorite Freelance Writing Tips — About Freelance Writing

This is a list of great ideas for writers from Aboutfreelancewriting.com

5 Of My Favorite Freelance Writing Tips — About Freelance Writing

A while back I posted 30 Days of Writing Tips. Since the nature of blogging means the good stuff tends to get pushed way down and out of site I thought I’d list my 5 favorites from that list.
Just Start - I like this one because it’s a perfect way to break up procrastination, self-doubt and any of the other myriad reasons I may have to do something other than write.
Just Keep Writing - Once you’ve gotten started, sticking to it is often the very best thing you can do.
Bookending - this is probably my all time favorite tip for everything including writing. I often bookend because its a quick and easy way to make myself accountable and to break out of isolation.
It’s simple to do:
Call a supportive friend and tell them you’re going to work on X for X amount of time. Or tell them you’re going to write X number of words.
Or tell them you’re going to spend X amount of time straightening up your desk. This technique or trick can work for most anything.
  1. Do the promised writing.
  2. Call back and report that you completed the amount of writing you assigned yourself. If, as  sometimes happens, you don’t do what you said you would do, report that too.
Bookending works particularly well when you’ve got a freelance writing project that is either difficult or that, for one reason or another, you simply don’t want to do.

Be Willing To Fail - When I give up all notions of doing things perfectly, when I become willing to fail, it’s much easier to start something and to write something and to call an editor… one of the advantages of getting older is I’m more willing to fail.
Read It Out Loud - When you read your writing as part of your proofing and editing process your ear will pick up what you’re eye can’t see.

What’s your favorite writing tip?
Write well and often,
Anne

No comments: