Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Prayer 28 Tammuz Bircat Avot

בס"ד


The first blessing in the Shemoneh Esrei is Bircat Avot.

We are acknowledging that we are praying to the same G-d that our fathers Avraham, Yitzhak and Yaacov prayed to.
We are part of an unbroken chain of Jews that are connected to the same G-d.


When I say this first blessing, I have this image in my mind:

I'm standing next to the three fathers, Avraham, Yitzhak and Yaacov.  They are these spiritual giants and I'm this little tiny ant-like person compared to them.  We are all standing, waiting to come into the presence of Hashem and of course, they are going to get in and stand in front and I pipe up:  Please let me in because I'm with them!

On a certain level, I feel like I'm a gatecrasher, but I have these special friends, and they speak up for me and so I get in too, and I'm just as welcome as they are.  But I always have to remember that they are ones that made that possible.


Write about someone that helped you become who you are today.

No comments: